The Coast Defense Relics at Zhenhai Esturay has been listed among the historical sites under Sate protection. Fenghua River and Yuyao River meet in downtown Ningbo and merged into Yongjiang River. Yongjiang River flows eastward to empty into the ocean at Zhenhai Estuary where Zhaobao Hill stands on its west and Jinji Hill on its east. The two hills are not high, but steep and imposing, forming a gate best suitable for military defense. Zhenhai estuary has long been the strategic fort in wars and is remembered as "Gate to East Zhejiang" and "Major Coastal Town". It used to be the battlefield where the Chinese people fought bravely against the enemies from Japan, Britain and France and where lots of historical relics remain. Compared with other relics of coast defense, the relics at Zhenhai estuary are characterized not only by its wide variety, large quantity and good preservation, but also by the fascinating harmony between these relics and other natural scenes and human works. In some way, these relics are the witnesses of the history of the Chinese people's patriotism, bravery and perseverance.
The Coast Defense Relics at Zhenhai Estuary consist of: Wu Jie's Former Residence in Chengguan, Wu's Memorial Pavilion on Ziyin Hill, Pan Pond--the place where Yu Qian lost his life for his nation, "Goujintang"--the place where the British enemy landed; Stele Inscription of Weiyuan Wall and Yue Wall at Zhaobao Hill, Anyuan Emplacement; Jinji Hill Watch Tower, Jingyuan Emplacement, Pingyuan Emplacement in Beilun District; Hongyuan Emplacement at Lishan, Zhenyuan Emplacement at Xiaogangkou, Military Camp and Fort at Qijia Hill.
Here follows a brief introduction to above historical sites:
Wu Jie's Former Residence
Wu Jie, also named Ji Ren, was born at Xi County of Anhui Province in 1837 and passed away at the age of 74. Before the anti-France war began, he was appointed officer of the emplacements at Zhenhai estuary. On March 1st, 1885 (11th year of Guangxu Period in Qing Dynasty), the French army invaded Zhenhai estuary and was plastered by Wu Jie who fired the cannon in person at the Weiyuan Emplacement of Zhaobo Hill. In the battle, the French warships suffered a terrible loss and even the commander of the French fleet was badly wounded. The French army was too scared to invade again after this defeat. During the anti-Japanese war, Wu Jie again held office of captain of Zhenhai estuary and won much fame at the war. Wu Jie's Former Residence lies at the intersection of Shengli Ro in Chengguan and Renmin Road, and it was the house where Wu lived in his late years. The house has been well preserved.
Wu's Memorial Pavilion
The Pavilion, built in 1936, was built with fund from the public and soldiers of Zhenhai in memory of Wu Jie at the 100th anniversary of his birth. The roof of the Pavilion was supported by four poles and there stands a stele in the center of pavilion, which records Wu's life and his contributions to the nation.
Pan Pond--the place where Yu Qian lost his life for his nation
It lies within Zhenhai Middle School. During the Opium War between China and Britain at Zhenhai estuary on October 10th, 1941, Zhenhai fell to the British, so Yu Qian as Governor of Liangjiang and Imperial Officer killed himself by plunging into the pond. Yu Qian is the only officer of Qing Dynasty who gave his life to the Motherland during the Opium War.
Goujintang--where the British army landed on Zhenhai
During the first Chinese-British Opium War on October 10th, 1841, the British army landed on Zhenhai and took Zhaobao Hill. Then on the summit of Zhaobao Hill, the British army launched an offensive with cannons at Jinji Hill on the opposite side of Zhaobao Hill. After taking the Zhaobao Hill and Jinji Hill, the British began to bomb downtown Zhenhai. Because of the poor defense of Chinese soldiers, downtown Zhenhai also fell to the enemy.
Two officers, Lu Tang and Tan Lun, had the Weiyuan wall built to resist attacks of the Japanese army in 1560. The Wall was repaired by Magistrate Guo Chunzhang in 1833, and the Qing soldiers once fought against the invading British and French armies here.
The Wall, situated on the north side of the summit of Zhaobao Hill, served as the outpost of the Weiyuan Wall. It was built in 1883 when Ouyang Lijian was Governor of Zhejiang Province.
Stele Inscriptions on Weiyuan Wall
The Stele Inscriptions lie on the Weiyuan Wall, and most of them were written by the senior military officers of Ming and Qing Dynasties. Among these inscriptions is The Stele Inscription of the Protection of Baotuo Temple, which was composed by Ouyang Lijian in 1889. It recounts the history of the battle in Zhenhai Estuary during the anti-French war and is of high historical value.
Two officers of Qing Dynasty, Du Guanying and Wu Jie launched the construction of the emplacement in 1887 and completed it the following year.
Jinji Hill Watch Tower
The Watch Tower sits on the opposite of Zhaobao Hill along the River and was the place where Ouyang Lijian led his soldiers to fight enemies.
It is located at Shawantou to the east of Jinji Hill in Xiaogang. In 1880, the emplacement was equipped with five cannons and five military camps.
The emplacement, which lies to the northeast of Jinji Hill in Xiaogang, was put up in 1887.
Located on the summit of Li Hilll, the emplacement is imposing in size and served as the first defense line of Zhenhai estuary.
An emplacement built under the monitoring of Du Guanying in the 6th year of Guangxu reign.
Camp and Fort of Qijia Hill
Qiajia Hill lies in the southwest corner of Shaxie Hill on the south bank of Yongjiang River and it is connected with Jinji Hill. Yang Chun, an officer, ordered the Camp and Fort to be built in 1881.
Address: Yong River Estuary, Zhenhai, Ningbo, Zhejiang Province
Postal code: 315200